Friday 1 March 2013

Trail Mix for a cross country trek

I drove across Canada last September from Vancouver right through to St. John's. 8000 km. I was on a harvest trek and it was a fantastic experience.

This is a little 'on the road' recipe inspired by my experience and ingredients purchased in Vancouver's Chinatown. A homemade trail mix is very easy to assemble if you've got good dried whole food lurking in your pantries.

Here is one example...but I encourage you to play with your own recipes and enjoy a different snack for a change!

Cross Canada Trail Mix 

Roughly a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of each of the following:

Nori Seaweed, cut up with scissors
Sunflower seeds (I use unsalted)
Pumpkin seeds (ditto)
Cashews (ditto)
Sesame coated cashews (not sure I'll use these again, too sweet)
Dried apricots (chopped with scissors)
Dried dates (ditto)
Dried figs (ditto)

Seasoning, to taste:
Wasabi Powder (this is hot, don't be too generous) - start with 1/8 tsp
Horseradish/Wasabi Oil (this is super hot, again, exercise caution) - 6 - 12 drops
Mirin Sweet Cooking Seasoning (Japanese seasoning) - 1/2 - 1 tsp

Mix well. Story in a air tight container. Keeps well.

The last three ingredients should be easy to find if you have an asian grocery store available and many regular grocery stores are carrying Wasabi powder. You could easily replace the oil with olive oil and a bit of fresh horseradish too.

I recently served this at the livestreaming party for TEDxManhattan that I hosted here in Toronto.  I had a number of requests for the recipe so, voila.



No comments: